Quantcast

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sing me a song of wolves and summer sweet: Wink Poppy Midnight (a mini-review)

Wink Poppy Midnight
April Genevieve Tucholke
Dial Books (2016)
978-0803740488
There are stories about character, and there are stories about plot and then there are stories where the words are the point altogether. For me, I think, Wink Poppy Midnight is the latter. Steeped in beautiful language, readers will be lulled into a fairy tale-like story with heroes and villains and the gray places in between. It is a contemporary, but only in that there are no paranormal elements. The characters live in a place where people still write letters and children play outside all day without a tether to any technology whatsoever. If the setting is meant to be a real place, I would say that this a dismal failure. The characters aren't necessarily lovable, but that is subjective. We all have different personalities and tastes and there were things the characters did that I found to be completely unbelievable and unlikable, but that is based on my own experiences and you might have feel totally different.

Side note: There is an awesome recipe for pumpkin hot chocolate that I am definitely stealing.

Dive into it and let me know what you think!

This book is perfect for:

  • Lovers of fairy-tales
  • Anyone itching for a prose fix
  • People who like quiet contemporary novels

No comments:

Post a Comment